black and mac solicitors


Whilst respectful of our past we are focused on our future.

Whilst the origins of the firm are sadly obscured by the passage of time it seems that the firm was established by John Wilson Blackadder, who was born in 1870, and who set up in legal practice as John W Blackadder, operating from about 1905 from premises at Grahamston Station, Falkirk.

Subsequently, he went into partnership with another local solicitor, Gabriel Blane, forming the firm of Blackadder Blane. That firm practised until after the second world war when Norman Mackenzie was assumed as a third partner, with the name changing to Blackadder, Blane and Mackenzie.

That name continued until 1980, when the firm, by that time headed by James Macreadie, amalgamated with McMonagle and Co to form the present firm. Following James Macreadie’s untimely death, Manus McMonagle managed the firm for the next few years and in 1986, John Dickie, who had joined the practice as a Court assistant in 1984, was made a partner.


Manus became a consultant in 2002. Catriona Macdonald joined the firm in 2008 and was made an associate in 2011. Graham Blyth joined the firm in 2016. In November 2018 Catriona and Graham were assumed as partners.

John Dickie and Catriona Macdonald form the firm’s Court department, with a particular interest in family law. Graham Blyth, ably assisted by our paralegals, takes care of our Property department, and Manus McMonagle looks after Will preparation.

Whilst the firm at one time operated from premises in a pend leading to what is now the Howgate Centre, since 1964, as part of the 1960s redevelopment of the west end of the High Street, the firm’s offices have been at 41 High Street, at the top of Lint Riggs. Kept regularly freshened and equipped with all that one would expect in a modern office environment, our premises provide a pleasant and comfortable setting for client consultations.